Minutes of Annual Meeting
Southern Black Hills Water System
Pringle Community Hall, Pringle, South Dakota
Saturday, September 16, 2017
The Annual Meeting of the Board of Directors of the Southern Black Hills Water System was held at the Pringle Community Hall, Pringle, South Dakota on Saturday, September 16, 2017. Chairman Wick called the meeting to order at approximately 1:00PM.
ROLL CALL– The following Board of Directors were present: Baird, Beard DeFries, Seaboldt, Smith, Peplinski, and Wick. Member Kraus and Smith was absent. Others in Attendance were Dar Coy, Talbot Wieczorek GPNA ,Ted Schultz of AE2S and Don Peterson. There were seventeen system members present. There were 18 proxies submitted.
Chairman Wick welcomed the attendees and introduced the Board Members and System Staff. Talbot Wieczorek announced that petitions have been received to fill positions on the Board from current members. Robert Seaboldt, Danny DeFries Robert Peplinski. No other petitions have been received. It was noted by Talbot Wieczorek that there is still one position open due to a board member resigning and highly encouraged the attendees to consider running for the position.
MINUTES - Motion by System member Steve Sewell Second by System Member Paul Baumgartner to approve the minutes of Annual Meeting September 24, 2016 as presented. Motion Approved Unanimously.
System Manager presented the Managers report.
- SBHS has sold 5.8 Million gallons of water from January thru August 2017.
- There are hand outs on the back table.
- The 2016 Drinking Water Report which is required by the EPA each year to be available to the SBHS customers
- The 2016 Drinking Water Award which is given for supplying safe drinking water to the public.
- SBHS has hired the company Qualified Presort to do bulk mailing of the water bills.The new bill starting in October will come with a return envelope.The new method will save SBHS money.
- This Summer SBHS drilled a monitoring well about 150 feet from the Casey Well on Hwy 385 near the SBHS office trailer.The new well is 920 feet deep into the Madison Aquifer.SBHS will be conducting a 3 day pump test in October as required by DNER and prior to applying for water rights on the Casy Well.The purpose of the monitoring well is to take water level readings when SBHS is doing the pump test on the Casey Well.There has been concern from Wind Cave National Park that by pumping water from the Casey Well that the water level in the cave lakes may be affected. It was noted that when SBHS did a 9 hour pump test last year that no drawn down of water levels was seen.By having the monitoring well only 150 feet from the Casey well, we will be able to see if any noticeable draw down takes place during the test.The quality of the Casey well water is as good as the Streeter well which is currently used.SBHS will apply for a 300 gpm water permit.
- SBHS has purchased and is in the process of installing Backup electric generators for the Streeter Well, WTP, 2 Booster Stations, and the water tower on HWY 89.The generators should be operational by the end of October.SBHS will be looking at adding a generator at the Casey Well in the future
- SBHS has purchased a water system on Hwy 40 called Rushmore Ranch by the Hayward Fire Department.The system currently has 55 customers and a build out of 84 lots.The system has a 150 gpm Madison well.SBHS will be looking at customers along HWY 40 for water hookups in the future.
- The monitoring well, generators and Rushmore Ranch have been funded by SD DENR with Grant monies.
Ted Schultz AE2S Engineering presented a report on water rates. The existing system is 13 years old and now has more customers which provides for more stability. With the increase of cost of electricity and other costs, an increase of $5 to the water bill will be needed. The cost of the water will not change ie $4 per 1000 gallon. Hand outs from AE2S were available to the attendees.
Public Questions & Comments
The Argyle Fire department Chief thanked the SBHS for the water hydrants and water made available during a recent fire at Elk Run..
ADJOURNMENT - Motion by System Member Norine Baird, second by Steve Boyles to adjourn the meeting at approximately 2:00 PM. Motion Approved Unanimously.